Saturday, May 9, 2009

International Migratory Bird Day and Pedro's accident

Maisha, migrating as a Luzuli Bunting, reads instructions on the migration card.




Abigail, Duncan, and Barb Clarke playing the migration game.




Today is International Migratory Bird Day. We had an event for Junior Audubon in Columbia Park. I arrived at 9:30 to set up and got a call from Pedro. He said he was in an accident, and he needed me to come. I quickly told my volunteers how to start, and took off. I was surprised to find his Nissan Xterra smashed around a light post and another small cars rear end crumpled and spun around. No one understands what happened. Pedro says his car suddenly pulled to the right. He looked down wondering what happened and when he looked up he was crashing into the car in front of him. There is a black streak where his car pulled to the right. I don't know how he hit the car in front of him, unless the other guy braked...but there was no reason. I waited with him for the tow truck, and then took him to the car rental. Pedro is very calm! He says he wasn't hurt. He has an abrasion on his elbow. The lamp post broke. It seems like he would be hurt.




I got back to the park about an hour later and the Great Migratory bird game was in progress. I had bought stakes and they hung 24 signs with directions for the migrating birds. We learned the perils birds face on their long migrations. The kids chose a migrating bird to represent in the game from a poster, and then looked it up in at least two different bird books. The kids played twice flapping around 24 stations. Afterwards, Duncan asked, "When can we play it again?" I think we'll play again at school this week. It was fun. We went on a short bird walk on the Audubon Trail, and finished at noon.


The card says, "It is raining hard count to 50, then go ahead 1 station."










No comments: