Saturday, May 9, 2009

ACOW in Leavenworth

May 1st, 2nd, and 3rd I attended Audubon Council of Washington (ACOW) in Leavenworth. We stayed at Tierra Learning Center. We were surrounded by (new to me) birds. Cassin's Finch, Rufous Humming Birds, Caliope Hummingbirds, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Nashville Warblers, and Red-naped Sapsuckers. I attended the Education Meeting on Friday and heard Paul Bannick speak again about his book, "The Owl and the Woodpecker," that night at the Barn Beach Nature Center. After a bird walk at 6:30 AM Saturday, I was in meetings and presentations all day. I gave our chapter report and told everyone about our new Junior Audubon program. Sunday I went on a field trip to a MAPS banding station off Hwy2 between Wenatchee and Coulee City. I got to hold a White-crown Sparrow and release it. I was told to hold it upside down and slowly release its legs to let it relax. The photo shows my relaxed bird. He didn't fly. I had to toss him up a bit. We also caught a Sage Sparrow in the mist net. Their numbers have declined greatly with the loss of Shrub Steppe habitat. It was my first.



No comments: